Monday 1 February 2016

Poetry Revisited: In the Gloaming by Meta Orred

In the Gloaming
Listen to a musical version
of Meta Orred's poem
on The Public Domain Review

(from Poems: 1874)

In the gloaming, oh, my darling,
When the lights are dim and low,
And the quiet shadows falling,
Softly come, and softly go;

When the winds are sobbing faintly,
With a gentle, unknown woe;
Will you think of me and love me?
As you did once long ago?

In the gloaming, oh, my darling,
Think not bitterly of me.
Tho’ I passed away in silence,
Left you lonely, set you free;

For my heart was crushed with longing,
What has been could never be;
It was best to leave you thus, dear,
Best for you and best for me.

It was best to leave you thus,
Best for you and best for me.

Meta Orred (1846-1925)
Scottish author and poet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear anonymous spammers: Don't waste your time here! Your comments will be deleted at once without being read.